You’re an entrepreneur for a reason.
You don’t accept the status quo.
You're a badass.
You’re a big-picture thinker. A systems thinker.
You like to change things.
Make them better.
You believe in your ability to improve people’s lives as the result of the work that you do.
But sometimes it gets overwhelming.
There’s so much to do.
You get bogged down by the details.
You get mired in bureaucracy.
The people around you may not always be pickin’ up what you’re puttin’ down.
Sometimes, they just don’t get it.
And yet, they ALL want to give you advice.
It might not be relevant.
You think: “How would they know?”
They criticize your idea and try to poke holes in it.
They’re the doubters and the naysayers.
They’re might even be your family members.
They’re probably well-meaning.
They’re giving you advice because they care about you.
Everyone just has to share their opinion!
You might find this all endlessly annoying …
You might have nasty thoughts about their motives.
And, yet, you’re supposed to be grateful??
To these people who keep butting in and filling your head with (negative, distracting, irrelevant, ________ you fill in the adjective) thoughts that aren’t useful??
Think about what lessons might be learned from unwanted advice … Patience? Empathy?
What else can you think of?
Maybe the ability to recognize that the thoughts in your head are not theirs, but your own?
Gratitude is a practice.
It’s something you do over and over again, and it’s never perfect.
Or, like entrepreneurship (but that’s a whole other blog post).
But what if I told you that everything was already perfect?
What if you knew you were exactly where you were supposed to be, because wherever you are holds the lesson you are supposed to learn?
Now, I don’t believe in predestiny, but I do believe in seizing every moment for the opportunity it presents.
Seeing the perfection that exists in even the most challenging of situations.
Knowing that there is always a lesson there to be learned if only I will open my eyes to it.
If I do, I will come out on the other side deeper, wiser, with more understanding of the part I am here to play.
And I know that by practicing gratitude every single day as an entrepreneur, my life has gotten better, and even the really hard parts of my business feel easier.
By practicing gratitude, I’ve become more aware of my own thoughts and how they alone control my emotions.
And it’s allowed me to be nicer to people who give me unsolicited advice.
Here’s a piece of my ever-growing gratitude list:
- I'm so grateful for all the experiences that led me to this point. Had even one thing gone differently, I could be in a totally different place right now ... perhaps having never even started this business called HERE+NOW.
- I'm grateful for the guidance of all my mentors and coaches and teachers along the way. You know who you are!
- I'm grateful for the support of my family and friends, even when they don't tell me what I want to hear.
- I’m grateful for the opportunity to start my own business and do whatever I want with it.
- I'm grateful for the plethora of DIY tools available to help me rock the building of my business online!
- I'm grateful for the opportunity to help so many entrepreneurs work through their mindset issues and set in place the same kinds of systems that I’ve been using to create more freedom and happiness in their businesses and in their lives!
- And I'm grateful to myself ... I had to DO the WORK to get myself here and it hasn't been easy. There were so many times I could have given up, wallowed in overwhelm and confusion and spun my wheels ... instead I wrote a guide to help other entrepreneurs get UNSTUCK. Pretty proud of myself for that.
- I’m grateful for my clients, past and present, and even for my future clients, knowing that they will come into my life seeking assistance, but that they will also have many powerful lessons to teach me in return.
- And I even want to call out that I’m consciously grateful for things as simple as a sturdy roof over my head, a warm cozy bed, an abundance of healthy food at my disposal, and clean drinking water! I am aware that not everyone in the world has those things and I feel so lucky to live such a comfortable life. I really am blessed.
So, as we go into this Thanksgiving holiday week filled with opportunities to pause and give thanks, I will remind myself, that even though my life is not perfect – there's still struggle and strife and conflict – it really is. And every interaction is an opportunity to practice gratitude, and learn.
What does your list look like?
Are you feeling overwhelmed as an entrepreneur running a small business? Do you have systems in place that help you automate your most menial tasks? Does the idea of hiring a team intimidate you? Are you interested in learning to build a super solid foundation for your business? Click here to join the HERE+NOW tribe and be the first to get access to Founder Fitness 2018 – an online program developed by Megan Arneson to get you out of overwhelm and kick your butt into gear to set a solid foundation for growth. Don’t let another year pass you by while you struggle to make it all work!